It is extremely important to provide high-quality pictures to allow users to see the work in the best possible conditions. Images are essential for selling art online.
3 images are now required, except for editions and photographs. We have found out that works sold on Artsper have, on average, 4 images on the listing page. Collectors buy works whose listings have high-quality and varied images.
In the "Artwork images" section, you will have to upload several images, the main image being the most important.
1. Your main picture will be the first image that users will see. It may be on the homepage, in the catalog, or in the collection of works offered on Artsper:
- To load images, click on the "+" located at the center of the square (when you upload an image, a new "+" is displayed which will allow you to upload the next image).
- For 2D works (paintings, photos, prints), the main image must be seen from the front and it must be cropped, no additional visuals (wall, frame, white margins, contours).
Below is an example of an image that respects our guidelines, and 2 images that don't:
To take good pictures, it is important to respect the following guidelines:
- Remember to take the photo in natural light, without flash.
- Ideally, place the work in good lighting, avoid reflections and shadows.
- Take at least 10-15 photos per work. This will give you ample choice to get the right photos.
2. Additional pictures:
- Photos 2, 3, 4, 5... should depict the work on-site, in detail, the signature, the back of the work...
- Choose real-life photos of the artwork and avoid any fictitious scenarios. 3 photomontages (live views) will already be automatically generated on the artwork page.
- Only images in JPG or JPEG format are accepted.
- Your images should be less than 10MB in size. Thanks to free online tools like tinypng or compressjpeg, you can compress the image size without affecting the quality.
- Your images should be at least 600px (pixels) on 1 of the 2 sides. To find the images dimensions, simply right-click the photo and select 'Get information'.
Examples of of good-quality additional pictures (pictures 2 to 12):
Before importing your photos, make sure you they respect the following guidelines:
- The dimensions you fill out on the artwork form must correspond to the format of the work, as presented on the main image. (for instance, a rectangular work should not be cropped into a square format).
- The main image must show the work as it will be sent to the buyer (examples: if a work is sold unframed, it must not appear framed on the main picture ; if you sell one painting from a diptych, only show that exact painting in the main picture, not the diptych).
- Do not upload photos of several works on a single form. Present only one artwork per form. Recreate a new form for each new work you wish to import.
- Do not advertise the possibility of making works to order.
- For enhanced editions, the photo must show the actual copy that is being sold. If the item is slightly different, it will be returned.